Tuesday 20 March 2012

Low fat chocolate brownie recipe, plus lambs





Some of you have asked for the recipe for the chocolate brownies that I pictured in the February scavenger hunt.  I got the recipe off the back of a packet of Tesco prunes




Ingredients
100g ready to eat prunes, chopped
6 tbsp apple juice
175g plain chocolate, roughly chopped
4 eggs, beaten
300g dark brown sugar
150g plain flour, sieved
50g mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4
Line a 23cm square tin with baking parchment
Put prunes and apple juice in a saucepan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.  Stir well to make a puree.
Stir chocolate into prunes and set aside to melt.
Beat eggs and sugar together for 5 minutes or until foamy.  Fold in the prune mixture and flour.  
Spoon into tin.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the brownies are cooked through.
Scatter with marshmallows, and cook for 2 minutes.
Leave to cool.  Cut into 16 squares and serve.


Disclaimer  - When I was buying the prunes and noticed the recipe on the back, I bought a bar of chocolate to make the brownies.  It wasn't until I'd started making them that I read the quantity and realised that I'd only got 100g and was 75g short!  I added cocoa until the colour and taste seemed right, so if you make them they'll be slightly different (there wasn't a photo on the packet to go by either).

Here's a few lamb photos

This little one hadn't long been born and kept falling down

While his Mum was occupied in cleaning him up another bigger lamb that didn't belong to her, snook in for a cheeky feed!



There's still time to enter my giveaway.  It ends on 22nd March.





6 comments:

  1. My goodness I've seen white lambs with black faces but not black lambs with white on their tails and socks.....they are so cute. At first I thought it was a Border Collie sheep dog in the paddock.

    I love it when the Spring lambs are about.

    Those brownies certainly look delish too.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Those lambs are adorable, I want to cuddle one NOW! :)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe LBM. I was toying with the idea of doing some baking today and now I think I will.

    I can burn it all off tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a sweet tooth but those brownies look very professional!
    Loving those adorable lambs, I want to scoop them up and cuddle them. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, thanks for that recipe! I know what I will be adding to my shopping list this week! I am actually on a diet, but I am sure these are healthy enough for a small square (which is usually all I get with this lot about anyway!)
    I love the pictures of the lambs. We haven't seen any near us yet, but we undoubtedly will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I shall give those a go for sure. I love prunes.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete