Friday 1 August 2014

Trial run



You may remember a (long) while ago that I bought a piece of gorgeous 1950s fabric from the charity shop. It's 36" wide and there's only 1 3/4 yards, so not a lot to play with, and I've been looking for the right pattern for it ever since.  I thought something with a full skirt would suit it and I've since bought a remnant of plain blue fabric to go with.



And now I think I have the pattern - Simplicity 2444 which has been around for quite a while but had passed me by.

My idea is to do this version with the cape collar, and make the bodice and top part of the skirt in plain blue, and the collar and a band at the bottom of the skirt in the flowered fabric.

I didn't want to risk ruining my precious 1950s fabric, so I've had a trial run using an old duvet cover.   As I was really just checking for fit I didn't add the collar.


Note how I've matched up the pattern either side of the zip!

I've fully lined it using an old pink sheet

I had to make a couple of adjustments because the neck was gaping at the front and back so I've put some darts in.   Before I make the next one I'll have to find out how to alter the pattern for a better fit.
After I found this pattern I've seen lots of versions on blogs, like Alex's, Jacquie's and Char's.   
No-one else seems to have trouble with the fronts pleats in the skirt, but I found them very confusing and they've ended up very bulky, so I'll have to fix that.  
Overall though I'm very happy with it (and it's got pockets!).

So that's my trial run.  Do you think my idea for using the other fabric would look ok?   Or have you got any other suggestions for it?




6 comments:

  1. Hi, I LOVE your dress.....it looks great on you..I didn't like the pleats on mine at first, but they grow on you :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty stunning to me as a test run! I'm very impressed with your pattern-matching too - I'm sure your "proper" version will be fantastic! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely. I love the material. V impressed too with your pattern matching on the trial run. The other night I accidentally clicked on channel 4 -' This old thing' a programme about vintage clothing was on. I don't know whether you've seen it? I loved what the seamstresses did with the clothes - something similar to what you do.I think your dress will look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! Yes I've seen the programme and some of the things the seamstresses did were really good, far better than I could do. I wouldn't like to have to pay for their services though, it really puts the price up!

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful, I know that fabric well! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and can't wait to see how your dress turns out with THE fabric. 2444 is hands down one of my favourite patterns. If you need any help, give me a shout - I'm no expert but might be able to try and explain the pleats thing x

    ReplyDelete